I’m in the process of getting the top part of the intake manifold together on the EG33 so I can bolt it down and have that part done on it. It’s quite a chore with all of the vacuum lines they ran on the engine. Really, I guess there weren’t that many lines, but there are a few. My son was able to find this vacuum chart which helped a whole bunch. I had most of the lines figured out, but some I had the wrong idea for, so was able to adjust fire and figure some stuff out.
There were a couple of things I had to buy to put it together right. One of the things was the vacuum check valve (#8 one-way valve). I bought one of those cheap Dorman products you see in the “Help!” section of most of the popular parts chains. Paid $5 for it and it was worthless. I didn’t want to go buy another one as it would probably have the same issue. I didn’t want to purchase something off of Amazon and figure out if it was going to work or not (size wise), then it would take at least two days to get here even using Prime. I started wondering what I could use instead. Then it came to me. My daughter’s fish tank has check valves on the air lines going into the tank. This is used to keep the water from syphoning out of the tank and back down the air lines. I took one of hers out and tested it under vacuum (yah, I sucked on it). It held the vacuum like nobody’s business. I put her air lines back together and was on my way to Walmart. I picked two of them up for less than what it cost me for non-usable one from the parts store.
In the process of pulling the manifold off, I broke the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (#10). One of the nipples broke off of it because the lines are so stinking hard, things got broke. I looked around on the EJ22 to see if there was another one like it, but couldn’t find it (I believe it was bolted to the fender and the son removed it … never to be found again). I then looked online for a replacement I could buy. Yah, right. $110 for one. I again started thinking about how I could fix it. I figured out I could probably put a new nipple on there if I did it correctly. I found a butt adapter for the vacuum lines and cut one half off so there was a rather large flat portion I could use (large relative to the nipple itself). I then took the solenoid to my bench grinder and gently shaved off where the old one was broken from, making it very flat. I picked up a tube of Krazy Glue from the store and applied it to the nipple. Five seconds later it was bonded to the solenoid. Seems air tight as well. I’ll trade $2 for a tube of Krazy Glue any day of the week instead of dropping $110 on a new one. Krazy Glue FTW!
Because we have to chop part of the core support out, I went down and bought some angle iron the other day. Cost $30 for a 20’x1″ length which they cut in half. I’m going to use this to rebuild the core support after we chop it. It will also support the radiator at the top. The bottom is held in by the two grommets used for the original radiator. We drilled a hole in the core support, then used a step drill to cut a much bigger hole. These bigger holes will support the old grommets and the radiator in just the right spot. I was really impressed with how the step bits I bought from Harbor Freight did, and the wonderful job of cutting the holes. I highly recommend them as a cheap but effective way to get the job done.
Since we will no longer have the core support across the top of the radiator, there will also no longer be a latch we can use. My son bought these instead.
These are JDM, direct from Japan. Hood pin latches with locks in carbon fiber. I’ll have to cut some holes for them, then recess the lips so these will sit flush with the hood instead of sitting on top of them. They’d work if on top, but it would be ugly as sin. Cutting them flush will look a lot better. He said these were relatively cheap and there are better models. Even so, these should turn out okay as long as I can get them installed easily.
These will probably be some of the last things to get installed. Plenty other work ahead of them … like getting the engine running! I gotta get the engine back together first, like getting the vacuum lines completely sorted. There’s only a little bit more in that department, then I can slam the top part of the intake manifold back onto the engine and call it a day. Still lots to do. It’s a lot easier when my son is here to keep me motivated. If I’ve found nothing else in doing this project, it’s that I have an awesome son who I can work with. He even listens … that’s something I’d never seen before :o)