Our President Elect is known for these words, but really, I’m referring to the awesome sound of an EG33 firing for the first time on open headers! YES! It fired! I am VERY pleased, to say the least. I’ll recap …
If you’ve read any of my other blog entries, you know I’ve had the engine in for some time now, but I’ve been unable to get it to start. I’d tried several things, but nothing was working. My son finally hooked me up with a FaceBook page. After a couple of days I was able to get on there and start asking questions. A couple of guys there took some time to get me thinking about things.
There are three things you need in order for an engine to run (some would argue there are four … get to that in a bit). The three things are: air, fuel, ignition. The “fourth” thing some would complain to me is “compression”. My argument about compression is … if everything is mechanically right with the engine, you’ll have compression. An engine could conceivably run without compression. Compression just allows it to run more efficiently … but I digress.
I knew there was air … that’s a given because it’s there … all around you. As long as it’s sucking it in, you’ve got air. The second thing was fuel. I knew the fuel pump was running, so that shouldn’t be an issue either. The third thing is ignition … you need spark. On checking the spark plug and the coil, there wasn’t any spark. I back probed the coil and discovered I didn’t have any power at the coil … well, none to speak of as it read out to have ~.5vdc with the key on. You should actually see battery voltage with the key on. On the wiring diagram I saw where the coils attached to the connectors of the wiring harness at the back of the engine. The connector is B4 in the Subaru schematics. The two power wires for the coils attach to pins 3 and 6. I traced the wires back from the connector and what do you know I found … they weren’t attached to anything. Luckily I was anal enough not to have cut these off, but had left them in the bulk of the wiring harness which was rather “attached” to the rest of it. I’m glad I did, as I just attached them to the switched power I’m using for the other stuff. While I was at it, I also ran a sure ground to the igniter as the ground on it seemed a little flaky. I ensured the fuel pump was energized, then turned the key and it fired right up. I was completely surprised, but thrilled at the same time. Absolutely fired up … I was, that is! After a couple months of farting around with this thing, it lives.
Here’s a short video of the second firing:
Yes, folks, open headers are really loud! Nothing like the sound of an engine coming to life which has been dead for so long.
I still have one small issue I need to work out. The fuel pump is still intermittent. I don’t know why, but it only runs if I ground the fuel pump relay manually … this means the ECU isn’t getting a good ground somewhere, or if it isn’t switching it for some reason. Doesn’t matter. Something is wrong, so I’ll have to figure it out. I also need to shore up all the wiring. As you can tell in the video, there’s wires strung all over the place. It’s a mess in the cabin, but right now it’s a good mess! I can deal with it now I know the engine runs.
The two big things left to do on the car is get the exhaust put together and get the cooling system sorted. The exhaust is going to be an amalgamation of the EG33 exhaust to just past the cats where it Y’s together, into the Impreza exhaust which will run it out the back of the car. It should work rather slick. The other thing which is left is the cooling. We have a Saab 900 radiator and two 10″ electric fans. Getting it all in will be problematic, but should work with a little bit of fabrication. I bought some 1″ angle iron for just such an occasion.
All-in-all, it was a productive night. I’m looking forward to getting it back on the road, but this was definitely a giant leap for the process! I’ll be back with more news as it presents itself. Until then, watch the video again … gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.