Radiation Overload

The son and I did a little work on his car today. I’m still fed up with it not starting, but I was able to verify all of the fuses are in good shape, to include the fusible link. I need to look in a different direction to figure out why it isn’t starting. I still think there are a ton of grounds which I need to add into different areas, then it will probably run like a big dog and I’ll be ready to kick it out of the garage.

Something else we worked on today was getting the radiator put into the front end. We decided to go a little bit different route than we were before. Here’s a picture of the front end as it sits right now:

You’ll notice a big chunk taken out of the front bumper support. The reason for this is we decided we are going to locate the radiator to the front of the piece of angle iron. This will push the radiator forward enough we’ll be able to fit the fans in behind it with room to spare. This will leave them in the puller mode instead of pusher fans. We’ll have to trim the front bumper and the grill won’t fit without heavy modification, but it will work better in the long run. One of the main things it will do is give me more space to put the top radiator hose in place. Before deciding to move it forward, the upper radiator outlet was almost touching the cam belt cover. Where it will be at now will give use plenty of room.

The plan with it is to weld a piece of angle iron (just visible at the top left side of the image) onto the bumper support. This will tie the two sides of the bumper support together while giving us the room we need to make it work. Next, I’ll be welding two tabs along the bottom of the core support where the two shiney spots are at. You can see the metal tabs just below and to the left of the gloves at the top center of the image. After the tabs are welded into place, I’ll need to mark and drill holes in them so I can place the locating pins in the bottom of the radiator into them. I want to get some rubber pieces for the top, but I plan on cutting down the tabs on the top of the radiator, drilling them, then bolting it to the top piece of angle iron. This should leave the radiator very secure and in good shape.

One last thing to look at in the image. If you look really close you’ll see a round object with a blue cap on it. This is the recovery tank for the car. It’s out of some type of VW … a Jetta, IIRC. Where it’s sitting at is where we are going to mount it. It will fit just right in there where the A/C compressor was supposed to be at. I think it will work just awesomely there. I’ll be able to create a bracket to hang it off of right there without too much of an issue. We’ll have to get a T to put into the heater hose line, run hose from the bottom of it back to the heater hose, plus install a small line from the radiator to the small line on the recovery tank. The only prerequisite with the recovery tank is it needs to be higher than the rest of the cooling system. This will make a good home for it.

While the Impreza still isn’t running, it is a little bit closer. I’m have hopes things will continue to progress. I think I can get the welding out of the road tomorrow, at least for the cooling system portion of the build. Things are a little bit closer and I’m happy with the progress.

One thought on “Radiation Overload”

  1. Pingback: Way Too Cool

Leave a Reply